I've switched quite a few jobs and got a good name in all... Here are few tips from my experience:
- we've to listen and do as the boss says. if someone tries to tell you not to do any job that your boss says, you've to just tell them that I'll follow it for atleast some time to get a good name - this way, u do ur job, get a good name from ur manager, at the same time become friends with these people who are against ur manager!
- mingle with everyone. u might choose few close friends with whom u go for lunch/outing/tea/chit-chat etc, but atleast say a hi to others so that you don't loose touch with others.
- just do ur job, what may come - even if it involves putting extra time. if u do ur job properly, then no one will question u if u take a day off, go in for flexi timings etc in future. People will do what you want if u prove that u r capable of finishing ur job.
- if u have time, help others. this will not only get u friends, but also will give u learning opportunity.
- learn new things at work - even if u don't need it at that point of time and work. For eg: I put in extra 1 hr after office hours for few days, to teach a colleague of mine Java Struts that I know. I did not ask him anything in return. But when he is done learning, he offered to teach me stored procedures in db which I am not an expert. I learned it then even though I did not use it in that job. But today, I know better stored procedure! So do not expect anytihng in return, just try to teach them. You'll always be rendered help without asking :)
Enjoy ur work!