ASK, ADVICE, ASSOCIATE WITH

LOGIN  |  SIGN UP    
Proportion for idli maavu

Bharatmomsmother- sheelaarun question

sheelaarun

Hi all,

Does anyone know the correct proportion of Idli maavu? I use 3 tumbler idli rice, 1 tumbler urad dhal, 1 tumbler raw rice. is it correct? i soak it overnight and grind in morning. I grind urad dhal nicely and rice as coarse one. I get this proportion right for shop rice but sometimes when i have to use ration rice, i could not get it properly, like the mel thattu in idli cooker is good, the other two below are not at all vendhufied. what to do? suggest me.

You can share this Blog/Article to your friends by clicking the respective Icon below.

Tags : Idli

10 answers so far. What are your thoughts?

Best Answer

moms community harini_c

harini_c

In a grinder:

When using a grinder soak the rice, methi and urad dal together. Soak for 6 hours. While grinding keep adding 1 table spoon water at regular intervals – about once in every 5 minutes. This is very crucial to get the best batter. You know the batter has turned out correct when its very fine and the consistency of the final batter is like cake batter ( for those who prepare cakes).

To be exact I would suggest that it is better to measure the amount of water also. If you soak 4 cups boiled rice (idli rice) and 3/4 cup urad dal and drain water completely before grinding, then you can add 2 and 1/2 cups water. First add 1 cup and the remaining keep adding as the batter absorbs.

This will definitely give you the right consistency. Mix with salt and leave for fermenting.

When you prepare the idlis, take out the required amount of batter in another container and mix with 1 or 2 table spoons water and make the idlies. This way the left over batter will remain fresh for more than a week.

some of the following tips to prepare idli was given in links below. surely you will get informative result.

http://www.chennaimoms.com/blogs/3647/posts/11699-idli

http://www.chennaimoms.com/blogs/6654/posts/16998-how-to-prepare-rava-dosa-and-idli

• about 4 years ago

moms community loki

loki

Hi sheela..........

4 glass of idli rice

4 glass of raw rice

2 glass of urad dhal with 2 tblsn of fenugreek seeds

This is wat i do........

• over 4 years ago
moms community AnithaMadhan

AnithaMa..

4:1 ratio of Idly rice and Urad Dhal with 2 teaspoons of fengreek seeds. Do we need raw rice also?

• over 4 years ago
moms community MOMRJ6

MOMRJ6

•  3: 1 is the best ratio.
  • Always use only par-boiled rice if the batter is to make IDLIS. For dosa, you can use 2:1:1 ( par-boiled rice : raw rice : Urad dal).
  • Raw rice gives crispiness; par-boiled rice gives softness; Urad dal gives fluffyness.
  • For more fluffyness, add 1 teaspoon of methi ( vendhiyam) soaked atleast 2 hours before grinding for 3 cups - 1 cup combination.
  • Soak dal (1/2 an hour soaking)and rice ( 2+ hours of soaking) seperately.
  • First grind the soaked methi and after a couple of minutes add urad dal.
  • Add water only in small quantities once every 5 or 10 minutes.
  • The urad batter should turn soft, smooth, fluffy and light as paper. That is the end stage.
  • Then, grind the soaked rice seperately. This batter should be coarse for IDLI and smooth for Dosa.
  • Mix the Urad batter and Rice batter and salt and then use it atleast 8 hours after grinding. Try this! You will get excellent Idli!
  • For Dosa, you can also grind the methi, urad and rice together to a smooth consistency.

• over 4 years ago
moms community ragavarshini

ragavars..

Raw rice will give some color to dosa like nalla sevakum, even we add vendhayam for that, but raw rice will also help, and when we grind urad dhal pls add few ice cubes, that will make your idly soft

• over 4 years ago
moms community vijayani31

vijayani31

for 1 kg,use 5 tumbler and 1 tumbler uluthamparupu.soak rice night itself if u gring in morning.soak uluthamparupu half an hour before u grind and add water.idli will be very soft if u do like this

• over 4 years ago
moms community baby_pranav

baby_pra..

I use 4 : 1 ratio ;  rice - urad dhal and 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds

• over 4 years ago
moms community Amala

Amala

4:1 ratio I use with lil fenugreek..no raw rice..but no need to soak for whole night but three to four hours would do

• over 4 years ago
moms community PriyaMahesh

PriyaMah..

Hai,

I always use 3:1 ratio.u both put rice and urud dal into the grinder and grind well.you will get a mallika poo idly.soak them overnight.

• over 4 years ago
moms community Velvizhi

Velvizhi

3 idlirice:1 raw rice:1 urid dhal + 1 spoon of fenugreek

• over 4 years ago
Related questions
Here are some related posts to the question you are viewing. Feel free to check them out, answer and share with your friends!

Answer of the month
moms community lux23

lux23

Kids Online Safety

kids or child internet safety guidelines

Reviews and Listings from Moms
Latest Activity
More about Indian and Bharat moms or mothers community activities